Project Details 2010.

For the sixth year in a row, our training project is being implemented by the joint efforts of Queen's Health Outreach East Africa (QHO) and Youth Empowerment Strategic Scheme (YESS), a Nairobi-based grassroots youth organization. QHO is a registered charitable organization that is exclusively managed and operated by student volunteers from Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. YESS is registered with the Kenyan government as an independent youth group and is comprised of students and recent graduates of universities in East Africa.

This year, project is returning to the Kenyan capital of Nairobi after spending 2 years in the more rural areas of Rongai and Nakuru. The team will spend 8 weeks in Nairobi, reconnecting with schools taught at previously as well as teaching at six new institutions. Project will also consist of outreach activities such as community clean-up, tree planting, and temporary HIV testing days as well as networking with other local organizations that provide health and educational support in Nairobi.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's GREAT to be back!

Hey Everyone!

My name is Courtney Shipman and I am this years QHO Kenya Project 2010 Co Director. All I can say is I am so excited to be back in Kenya and even more excited to be leading the project in Nairobi!

It has been about 2 years since the QHO/YESS Project has taken place in Nairobi so I am so excited to return to where the partnership and project originated! We have an AMAZING team this year with 8 Canadian trainers total and 7 Kenyan trainers total. I am so excited to start working with all of these individuals and get to know them better.

I know that most of the posts are going to be about arrivals but I just wanted to share my thoughts about meeting the YESS Project Manager Tony and the YESS Director Robert in the airport last night.

We came off the 7 hour flight from Amsterdam groggy eyed and searching for our luggage. Matt and I has a little bit of lost luggage anxiety but everyones stuff emerged from the conveyor belt eventually. Once the last person had picked their luggage (which was Matt) a huge wave of excitement went through my body becuase I knew that we would get to walk through those big glass doors and find my friends that I haven't seen in a year.

When we picked them out of the crowd I ran over and gave them a huge hug and a sence of relief swept over me. Since September myself and Shauna has been in contact with Tony and Robert planning every detail of project and seeing them in person allowed me to fully realize that the project we all have been planning for the past year has finally begun!

It was a great feeling meeting up with them again and I know that between the four of us and the Peer Educators we are going to run an amazing project!

I am so happy to be back again.

-court

No comments:

Post a Comment